Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sweetly Broken

I hope this encourages you as much as it did for me today.

         I am first reminded that I am not my own. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20" Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.” The price that was paid was Jesus Christ. He was mocked, ridiculed, beaten, and hung on a cross. Why? To pay for the sins we commit. Our bodies were given to us by God himself. I am in need of a constant reminder that I am not my own, and that I belong to the Lord, bought with a price. 

         Secondly, remember that we are not promised an easy life when we follow Christ. We are promised hardships, challenges and persecution. Take heart though because the Lord has overcome. Even though he has overcome, we will still sin. It does not make it right for us to do so, but we have to remember that it is not in our nature to wake up with a pure heart. Romans 3:10-"There is no one righteous, not even one." Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

          Third, I have been praying for the fruit of the spirit to flow from me with me students. However, when my day starts, I am quickly reminded that I do not exemplify the fruit of the spirit. I finish my day feeling discouraged and frustrated that I cannot do it on my own. I know that this is only possible with the Lord's help. I am reminded of Paul in 2 Corinthians when he asks the Lord to remove the thorn from his side. Theses verses ring loudly in my ears. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is make perfect in weakness Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake. I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." How wonderful is it that we have a God who is active in our lives and wants us to run to him with our struggles?

           For anyone who feels alone, stuck, distant from the Lord, beaten, broken, or abused, know this: You are not alone! The Lord is waiting for you to come running to Him. He is not a distance God. Take what you know to be true and refute the lies in your head and heart. Ephesians 6:10-11 "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." Thankfully we are not stuck in the position or in the season we are in forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment