Saturday, September 26, 2015

Sitting Still but Never Quitting

          How often do we stop to sit and rest with everything going on? In all reality it probably seems impossible to do that. Even if you get to sit and rest, how often is it in the presence of the Lord? Sitting still is not something I always want to make time for. There is always exploring, going, working, or having fellowship with others. These things are not necessarily bad but they need to be balanced with everything else going on.
          I don't know if you hear the same voice telling you to sit and listen, but I often put it off because there is something else that catches my attention. A few years ago, I kept using the excuse, “I am too busy.” Someone once told me that it wasn’t me being “too busy,” it was me not making time for the desired activity. Since then, I have seen that I can’t use excuses just because there is something I don’t want to do. I need to be honest and blunt with myself and other people. I have no idea where you are in your walk with God and that is perfectly fine because it is between you and Him. I hope this encourages you and I want share a few things that the Lord has been teaching me in the past month.
          After two years of being out here, I have been able to get to know the people in this community and I have seen their beautiful hearts for the Lord. These people love the Lord and desperately want to share the work God has done in their lives. It is very catchy and the more I am out here the more I want to do the same. He has shown me how much love He actually has for me, despite my sin and failures. I am reminded that I do fail, I don’t always show Christ, and that I will have hard times in this life. Despite all this, I am reminded more that I am saved and do not have to live a life in defeat and frustration. This does not just apply to me but it can also apply to you if you allow it to.
         Jesus has rescued us like a lifeguard rescues a drowning person. We are pulled out from the ocean of our sins that drown us daily.  Not only have we been rescued, but we are restored, renewed, and reconciled with our heavenly Father. Jesus paid the price that we could never pay. He has shown us grace time and time again. Why did he do all of this? He loves us with an unconditional love we can only hope and pray to show to others. He does not want us to perish and spend an eternal life in hell. He wants us to choose Him forever and ever. “But He was pierced for our transgression, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5
        God is the King of this universe! Read that again. He sent his only son Jesus to die for our punishment. We have access to the highest King there ever has, is, or will be because Jesus humbled himself by stepping down from His royalty. Yet again this only happens because of God’s unconditional love He has for us. God=Love. Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes.”
         I want to share a little bit about teaching here in Alaska. Everyone keeps asking me how long I plan to stay out here. Well, I don’t know. I try to take it one day at a time, while I keep seeking the Lord to lead me where He wants me to go. So when I find out any new information about moving I will let you all know. For right now, I am staying here to serve and live my life out for the Lord. I currently have 11 rambunctious students. I have 3 lovely little girls and 8 full of life little boys. I constantly mull over thoughts of how I can demonstrate love and compassion to my students on a daily basis. I want them to see Christ in me in everything I do. Something encouraging I read was this, “Teaching is sharing ourselves with others. We get the best from our students when we give the best of ourselves.” 
           Over these past years, I have found that the best of me is when I feel like I am filled by the Lord and by others. If I want this to happen I need to be honest with myself as well as other people. It does me no good when I sit by myself withdrawn and frustrated. It all goes back to the making time to sit still and marvel in the Lord's presence. It is by His grace that covers me and His love that reminds me of all the good He has put in my life. The Lord keeps drawing me out more and more in the most tender way possible. He keeps putting people in my life to love and care for me, even on the worst of days. I have found true friendship and kindness from those around me. So thank you to all of you who have taken time to get to know me and really see my heart for what it is. I cannot thank you enough for listening and help me process through all that runs through my head. I am excited for the Lord to keep working in and through me this year. If you want to pray for me, then I ask that you pray for the Lord's help in displaying the fruit of the spirit to not only my children but everyone I come in contact with. It has been my prayer for last year and I want to keep that on the forefront of my mind each and everyday. "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." Galatians 5:22 
             Here are a few pictures that remind me of how amazing the King of this universe really is.













Sitting Still but Never Quitting

No comments:

Post a Comment